2020 Australian Fashion Laureate
IMG has announced the finalists of the 2020 Australian Fashion Laureate presented by DHL, celebrating Australian fashion’s innovators, leaders and change makers. Winners will be announced on 1 December 2020 at a celebratory luncheon at Catalina Restaurant, Rose Bay, Sydney.
In light of an unprecedented year of challenges for the Australian fashion industry, the 2020 Australian Fashion Laureate will focus on the resilience, creativity and innovation displayed by Australian designers and fashion industry creatives. The 2020 Australian Fashion Laureate award categories include:
- 2020 Change and Innovation: This inaugural award category acknowledges fashion leaders and organisations that have exhibited exemplary adaptability and performance in the wake of crisis, demonstrating an ability to keep pace with the changing social, cultural and economic challenges of 2020. For the first time with the 2020 Change and Innovation category, an Australian Fashion Laureate award will be presented to four uniquely qualified recipients.
- Sustainable Innovation: Introduced in 2019, this category recognises designers pioneering best practice or otherwise demonstrating leadership in sustainability. In 2020, the Sustainable Innovation Award will be presented in two category distinctions: Emerging Designer and Established Designer.
- Best Australian Emerging Designer: Reimagined in 2020, this category recognises leadership amongst Australia’s next generation of design talent in womenswear, menswear or accessories.
- Australian Fashion Laureate Lifetime Achievement: As the pinnacle fashion industry honour, this annual award gives consideration to persons who have, over time, made a significant contribution to the growth and development of the Australian fashion industry.
- 2020 People’s Choice: The inaugural People’s Choice Award gives consumers the opportunity to vote for their favourite Australian fashion designers. Finalists will be selected by IMG and Afterpay and voted on by Australian Fashion Week and Afterpay audiences. Voting is now open at https://www.afterpay.com/en-
AU/fashion-laureate-peoples- choice-award and will close on 27 November 2020.
Australian Fashion Laureate recipients are nominated and chosen by a panel of industry leaders, including media, buyers, communications professionals, creatives and designers, called the Australian Fashion Industry Alumni. IMG is pleased to share the finalists across 2020 award categories:
2020 Change and Innovation
- Nobody Denim
- Richard Poulson
- Fella Hamilton
Sustainable Innovation (Emerging Designer), presented by GlamCorner
Sustainable Innovation (Established Designer), presented by GlamCorner
- Outland Denim
- Nobody Denim
Best Australian Emerging Designer, presented by Shopify Plus
- MAARA Collective
“Following a year of extraordinary challenges, the Australian Fashion Laureate provides an important platform to highlight the Australian fashion industry’s resilience in the face of crisis,” said Natalie Xenita, Executive Director of IMG’s fashion events group, Asia-Pacific Region. “This year’s nominees showcase not only Australia’s exceptional design talent, but also organisations which have demonstrated their ability to keep pace with ever-changing cultural and economic environments, continually strengthening the Australian fashion industry and reflecting the needs of the global audience it serves.”
The Australian Fashion Laureate is an IMG event supported by Destination New South Wales (DNSW), the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency.
Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney Stuart Ayres said the 2020 awards would mark an import step forward for Sydney and the country’s creative industries.
“Sydney is ready for action and it’s fantastic to see retail, hospitality and tourism businesses gain momentum, showing the Harbour City is open and welcoming locals and visitors in a COVID-safe way. I commend the Australian Fashion Laureate nominees, and our fashion industry more broadly, who continue to be inspired, have demonstrated agility and are supporting the NSW economy by retaining and creating jobs – the 2020 Laureate will be a poignant celebration for the sector,” Minister Ayres said.
In addition to DHL and Destination NSW, the Australian Fashion Laureate is made possible through the support of Afterpay, Shopify Plus, GlamCorner and San Pellegrino.
RMIT UNIVERSITY RELEASE GRADUATE FASHION DESIGN PREVIEW
In collaboration with RMIT University and the School of Fashion and Textiles, the Naomi MilgromRead More
2020 Australian Fashion Laureate
IMG has announced the finalists of the 2020 Australian Fashion Laureate presented by DHL, celebratingRead More