2019 Melbourne Cup Carnival Birdcage Marquee Preview
The Victoria Racing Club (VRC) lifted the curtain on its reimagined Birdcage Enclosure, from the jaw dropping new entrance reflective of the global nature of the event to the all-star line-up of partner marquees in Lexus, Network 10, Kennedy, Seppelt Wines, Mumm, Schweppes, Bumble, Tabcorp, Furphy, Incognitus and the VRC’s 1 Oliver St and Bird Bath Bar.
When the Melbourne Cup Carnival commences on Saturday 2 November with AAMI Victoria Derby Day, Birdcage guests and VRC members will be welcomed through the all-new Birdcage entrance which is a purpose built 20-metre-wide, two-storey high installation inspired by the Grand Canyon. Guests will walk the exclusive Milan-sourced sparkly pink carpet and walk through artistically jagged silver walls with multi-coloured accents before entering the enclosure.
VRC Chief Executive Officer Neil Wilson said the Club was continually reinventing the raceday experience for members and guests.
“In 2016 we changed the game with the introduction of The Park, revolutionising the experience for our general admission guests. Last year we unveiled the $128 million Club Stand, a commitment to our 33,000 members and in 2019, our attention turned to The Birdcage, the corporate hospitality arena that is one of the key differentiators from every racing club and sporting event in the world,” he said.
“To further enhance the incredible marquee and brand experiences delivered year after year by our partners, the VRC is committed to making the Birdcage experience spine tingling from the moment you enter this premium enclosure.”
As always, the corporate partner marquee game is strong with highlights including:
- Principal Partner Lexus presents LANDMARK by Lexus, a luxury three-story facility featuring a 90-seat restaurant by Oakridge, floral installations by Joost Bakker, hot coals on the deck from the team at Ezy Pezy, a stunning installation on the third floor by architect Koichi Takada and a special unveiling of the new Lexus RX Hybrid. The Lexus Melbourne Cup trophy, Lexus ambassadors Corey Brown and Emma Freedman, and Oakridge chefs Jo Barrett and Matt Stone, were on hand to officially open the marquee;
- In the Melbourne pub-inspired ‘Chapter One’ Furphy marquee, guests will be taken on a journey to uncover the brewery’s connection to great Australian storytelling. The grand marquee with racetrack views boasts Insta-worthy street art from Jack Miers and Josh Brown of The Snake Hotel. There are two bars in the marquee with the main bar spanning 10-metres with 13 taps featuring a range of Lion’s finest beers;
- Now on Millionaires’ Row, The Kennedy Pavilion offers luxury over two levels designed by Italian outfit La Cellula in collaboration with James and Jaimee Kennedy and Expomobilia. The structure draws inspiration from the beauty of the equine world. Shop-style windows feature on the street level of the marquee presenting some of Kennedy’s house of brands including Rolex, Patek Phillippe, Cartier and Graff Diamonds;
- The Seppelt Wines Marquee with racing ambassador Rebecca Harding and winemaker Adam Carnaby, showcases a menu including a dessert infused with Seppelt’s finest sparkling white wine, Seppelt Salinger and Oak-aged feta using the brand’s flagship St Peters Shiraz barrels all paired with Seppelt’s portfolio of wines. Marquee guests will be entertained by electric-acoustic duo Perolas and will enjoy special touches including a bespoke Seppelt wine cart;
- In its first year in the Birdcage, Network 10 will present its live studio that will not only play host to the Melbourne Cup Carnival broadcast but also Studio 10, 10 News First and The Project. An all-star cast of Network 10 talent including Matt White, Francesca Cumani, Kerri-Anne Kennerley, Jennifer Keyte, Brittany Taylor, Peter Moody, Jennifer Keyte and Kate Peck lifted the lid on the facility which also includes a second level for corporate hospitality;
- The Maison Mumm Hotel opened its doors in chic style with a ribbon cutting ceremony facilitated by Maison Mumm Marquee co-host Kate Peck and Australian fashion designer and Mumm Collective member who has designed the Maison Mumm Hotel uniforms, Dion Lee. The spectacular launch also featured executive chef Dan Hong, marquee interior designer Nina Maya, designer of the hotel artwork Alesandro Ljubicici and bespoke ice bucket designer Hayden Cox;
- Bumble Queendom was the phrase of the day in the Bumble marquee with the online networking app presenting a highly visual space designed to make every guest feel like the ultimate boss. The castle design was activated with a dramatic all-female ‘changing of the guard’ and once again presented its now famous throne where everyone can feel empowered and confident. Bumble Marketing Director APAC Michelle Battersby was on hand to reveal the all-new marquee;
- Tabcorp called in three-time Melbourne Cup winning jockey Glen Boss, trainer and next generation of the famous Freedman family Sam Freedman, AFL Western Bulldogs player Lachie Hunter and AFLW player Katie Brennan to add the finishing touches to its exterior mural featuring a larger-than-life hydrangea design while acclaimed Australian chef Guy Grossi and pastry chef Darren Purchase presented the mouth-watering four-day menu;
- At The Lounge, the Incognitus team have created a 100 per cent reusable, recoverable and repurposed build with the overall inspiration from Australian artist Charles Billich including equine internal art panels. Over $200,000 of Billich art will be on display throughout the Carnival;
- Grinders also unveiled its Grinders Coffee Roasters Birdcage Marquee. This year Grinders will be mixing up its cold brew with a Nitro Coffee, taking its standard cold brew and infusing it with nitrogen giving the beverage a velvety foam on top, with a sweet, smooth and creamy mouth.
- And in its third year, the VRC’s 1 Oliver St marquee – with the help of Lady Helena’s butler Alfred and new character in 2019, housekeeper Audrey – welcomed guests into the third space of the fictitious character’s mansion, the private suite. VRC talent including Birdcage Ambassador Brit Davis, official stylist Elliot Garnaut, VRC ambassador Georgia Connolly, Melbourne Cup Carnival ambassador Tegan Martin and Seppelt Wines Stakes Day special guest Lindy Klim and a troupe of dancers in race wear painted a picture of what VRC members and invited VIP guests can expect from the marquee.
Around the VRC’s famed Birdcage, guests can also enjoy the 13-metre high VRC Bird Bath Bar decked out with wings and home to special Rocket Man-inspired performances including winged dancers performing at the blue piano with hot pink and orange feather installation. That’s not all from the VRC with surprise moments along the way to be discovered including the secret Larry’s Bar, Hands of Happiness, The Happiness Meter and a mirrored butterfly installation.
The Melbourne Cup Carnival, held at the iconic Flemington Racecourse, is the pinnacle social and sporting event in Australia, bringing together the biggest names in fashion, sport, business, entertainment and hospitality.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit: Flemington.com.au. Join the conversation across social media with #MelbCupCarnival and follow us on Instagram @flemingtonvrc and Twitter @flemingtonvrc and on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/flemingtonracecourse
THE RITZ-CARLTON DEBUTS ITS 100th HOTEL
The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. has announced the opening of The Ritz-Carlton, Perth, in the capital cityRead More
Crystalbrook Collection Unveils New Cairns Hotel
Crystalbrook Collection’s second five-star Cairns hotel, Bailey, will open on 2 November with a strongRead More