PORTOLA HOTEL & SPA CONTINUES ITS COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
Portola Hotel & Spa, Monterey’s first U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Certified Hotel, is proud to offer meeting and event planners the opportunity to create sustainable and eco-friendly meetings with the addition of new Reduced Waste Conferences.
Located on the scenic Monterey Peninsula and surrounded by the natural beauty of Northern California, Portola Hotel & Spa has always taken pride in the environment, making a conscious effort to support the green initiatives of the community in addition to implementing eco-friendly initiatives at the hotel.
“Reduced waste conferences are a great way to communicate to meeting attendees the importance to conserve natural resources,” says Janine Chicourrat, General Manager at Portola Hotel. “We partner with the meeting planners to implement a variety of green practices, and we are able to communicate to attendees how they can contribute. A great example of this is offering reusable aluminum can water bottles instead of plastic bottles. We host groups of over 1,000 attendees, so the reduction of plastic water bottles over a three-day event can be in excess of 4,000 bottles.”
Portola Hotel & Spa is dedicated to hosting successful and effective Reduced Waste Conferences and does so by requiring a commitment from the hotel, the meeting planners, and attendees of the conference.
The Reduced Waste Conference Commitments:
Portola Hotel & Spa Reduced Waste Conference Commitment
- Create awareness about the Reduced Waste Conference to attendees through Passkey/Group Reservation System and key packets at check-in
- Environmentally friendly vendor and exhibit company suggestions
- Source organic and sustainable ingredients from local farmers and vendors throughout Monterey County and keep compost on the farm (reduces carbon footprint)
- Utilization of china, glassware, and silverware replacing the use of to-go cups
- Track daily waste diverted by the Kitchen, Housekeeping, and Banquet departments
- Composting of pre and post-consumer waste
- Additional assistance provided by Banquets to separate recyclable and compostable materials from going to the landfill
- Post-meeting recap including waste diverted from landfill, list of local farmers and purveyors where food was sourced, and carbon footprint analysis to be provided via email by the Catering & Conference Services Manager
Meeting Planner Reduced Waste Conference Commitment
- Confirm menu selections with your Catering & Conference Services Manager 14 days prior to conference start date to allow for proper selection and purchase of products
- Use of biodegradable badges and conference materials or reuse badges offering an opportunity to return conference badge for future use
- Use of audio-visual equipment for presentations opposed to printed handouts
- Educate and encourage attendees to participate in sustainability practices while at the conference (reusable water bottles)
Reduced Waste Conferences are now available for meetings and events held at Portola Hotel & Spa for up to 900 attendees. For more information, please visit www.portolahotel.com/green.
Virgin Hotels Las Vegas to Open
Virgin Hotels Las Vegas to Open with No Resort Fees, Complimentary Self-Parking & Wi-Fi TheRead More
W Melbourne has now opened
W Hotels Worldwide, part of Marriott International, has opened the doors to Melbourne’s first luxuryRead More