Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia – Suites and Runway action – Monday 14 May
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia (MBFWA) 2018 was staged at Carriageworks in Sydney. Designers showcased Resort 2019 collections and a frenzy of fashion followers found their way to view individual & group collection shows, as well as The Suites hosting one-on-one meetings between up-and-coming designers and potential buyers.
The main highlights were to be:
• Celebrating the brand’s 15th anniversary, CAMILLA AND MARC will open this year’s event for the Mercedes-Benz Presents show on Sunday 13 May.
• CAMILLA will return to MBFWA and stage a spectacular show to close out the week on Thursday 17 May, as well as the Mercedes-Benz Opening Showcase at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Weekend Edition (MBFWE) on Friday 18 May.
• International designer Emilia Wickstead in collaboration with MATCHESFASHION.COM (London) will debut her Resort collection at MBFWA for the first time.
• Akira Isogawa will celebrate 25 years in business with his MBFWA 2018 show.
• Numerous emerging Australian designers will make their MBFWA debut including Blair Archibald, Deadly Ponies, I.AM.GIA, Leo + Lin and Pereira Fitzgerald.
• Internationally renowned DJ duo, Client Liaison, will break into the fashion world with the launch of their first collection.
• The St.George NextGen show will once again provide emerging designers an opportunity to show in front of an international audience. This season’s participating designers are ALLISAR.H, Chris Ran Lin, Gina Snodgrass and Of RO.
My main focus was to view some relatively unknown designers with Monday’s schedule meeting the people behind the labels: etcetera Woman, Carver and East, whilst watching runway shows by Lee Mathews and Anna Quan.
et cetera WOMAN
With over 15 years’ experience in the Australian fashion industry and an innate understanding of colour, proportion and what consumers now value and seek most, Karyn Westren developed her own brand of limited-edition simple yet chic women’s silk resort wear [et cetera] WOMAN.
The brand’s philosophy is to make women look effortlessly beautiful, feel confident and celebrate their individuality.
The combination of simplicity and comfort offered in the thoughtful designs in custom hand-batik silk, in vibrant colours and inspiring prints, makes dressing for the Australian lifestyle and climate effortless.
The bespoke collection is perfect for beachside and resort destinations, or for days when you just feel like living an island life in an urban jungle.
The brand’s customers and stockists appreciate and covet the exclusivity each custom-created piece offers – something rare in a mass produced world.
CARVER is an Australian label with heart, empowering the gentle and enabling the brave. The namesake label of two sisters, Steph and Ness, and the collision of their wardrobes – feminine styles with androgynous edge.
Lee Mathews is a New South Wales designer stocked with David Jones. It was founded in 2001 and comprises very feminine, understated garments, outlining a unique personality.
Photos courtesy of Getty Images: Lee Mathews Runway at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia 2018
Anna Quan is a New South Wales designer stocked with Myer. The label showed at MBFWA in 2017 and shows great subtlety and detail. Anna has a particular attention to detail with flawless tailoring and much sophistication. She has caught the eye of women such as Kendall Jenner and Margaret Zhang.
Photos courtesy of Getty Images: Anna Quan Runway at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia 2018
2020 Melbourne Fashion Week
After months of planning, we’re happy to announce that a re-worked Melbourne Fashion Week willRead More
McQueens Flowers has been creating beautiful and memorable designs since 1991, building a reputation aroundRead More